Episode one first aired on Wednesday, 6 August, 2014. With a theme of 'cake' it consisted of a swiss roll, Mary Berry's cherry cake, and 36 miniature British cakes.
Signature Challenge: Swiss RollEdit
The bakes consisted of:
- Diana's Mum's Sunday Tea Lemon Curd Swiss Roll
- Luis' Spanish Swiss Roll
- Chetna's Cardamom, Pistachio and Coffee Swiss Roll
- Claire's Chocolatey Orangey Swirly Roll
- Richard's Pistachio and Strawberry Swiss Roll
- Jordan's Kawai Fraisier Swiss Roll
- Enwezor's Raspberry and Lemon Swiss Roll
- Kate's Red Velvet and White Chocolate Swiss Roll
- Martha's Tiramisu Swiss Roll
- Iain's Apricot and Basil Swiss Roll with Mascarpone and White Chocolate Cream
- Norman's Black Forest Swiss Roll
- Nancy's Coffee and Hazelnut Swiss Roll
Baker Tip: To ensure a perfect Swiss Roll, always roll it up straight from the oven while it's still pliable. Read more here: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/videos/techniques/how-roll-swiss-roll
Technical Challenge: Mary Berry's Cherry CakeEdit
The recipe the bakers recieved left out details of how to prepare the cherries, how to mix the ingredients together, and how long to bake the sponge for.
The bakers were ranked in this order:
Mary Berry's Cherry Cake Recipe: http://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/cherry-cake/
Showstopper Challenge: 36 Miniature British CakesEdit
The bakers made
- Chetna's Tiered Victoria Sponges with Lemon Curd and Raspberry Cream
- Jordan's Lemon Drizzle Cakes with Blueberry and Lemon Curd
- Diana's Chocolate Ganache Surprises
- Richard's Miniature Coffee and Walnut Cakes
- Enwezor's Coffee and Walnut Battenburg Squares
- Kate's Mini Tiered Victoria Sponges
- Luis' Raspberry and Lemon Genoise Slices with Lemon Drizzles
- Iain's Lemon Drizzle Cakes with a Mascarpone Filling, Drizzled Icing and Candied Lemon
- Martha's Mini Lemon and Thyme Drizzle Cakes
- Claire's Mini Chocolate and Cherry Cakes
- Nancy's Jaffa Orange Cakes
- Norman's Almond and Raspberry Mini Cakes.
Martha, Nancy and Richard were considered for Star Baker, but Nancy 'with her guillotine' received the commendation.
The bottom ranked were Iain, Jordan and Claire. Claire was sent home.
"It'll be lovely to have her taste my wares, if you like," said Norman of Mary Berry.